The Shakespeare Ugly Stik has been one of the oldest models on the market, and you’ll hear nothing but good things about the performance of this rod. There are many variants of this lineup available in the current community, and you won’t find a better rod when it comes to finding the perfect balance between budget and value. However, beginners often ask the question of how to cast the Shakespeare Ugly Stik. If you’re also starting out with this fishing rod and need specifics on the casting methods, the following details will be of use.
How To Cast Shakespeare Ugly Stik
While the Shakespeare Ugly Stik is one of the simplest units in the market, it can often be confusing to manage the system when you’re a beginner. So, here are some things that you need to keep in mind while trying to cast a Shakespeare Ugly Stik.
- The first thing you need to do is thread the line through the guides on the Ugly Stik and collect it around the spool. Many users make the mistake of filling the spool close to the maximum line capacity. So, make sure to avoid this situation and try to stay within the 80 percent range when you’re working with Shakespeare Ugly Stik.
- Once the line has been managed properly around the spool, you can adjust the drag settings and the tension on your unit. The desired tension can vary depending upon the lure, water conditions, and rod weight. So, make sure to test out with different configurations accordingly.
- Now, you just have to position your hand just above the reel and grab the fishing line gently with your finger to disengage the bail on the fishing reel. Make sure not to kink the fishing line, as that will create complications down the road.
- After the bail is open and the lure has been attached to the line, you can just let go of the line and toss the lure by swinging the rod in the desired direction. Just let the speed of the lure carry the line off the spool, and you can engage the bail once the cast is complete.
- Lastly, you just have to wait for a catch and manage rod action to replicate the movement of live bait. This fishing rod has good sensitivity, and you’ll be able to detect catches, even if you’re a beginner. So, stay sharp and act quickly to get good fishing results with the Ugly Stik.
The most important thing that you need to consider is the position of your hand relative to the reel. You don’t want any part of your hand in contact with the spool, as that will stop the line from casting freely. So, make sure that even if your hand is touching the reel, it is not in contact with the spool. Your primary objective is to let the line move freely off the rod, and there should be no obstructions during the cast. Try also to seek help from an expert if you want to get ahead of the learning curve.