Keeping feature-rich units like Minn Kota Ulterra in good shape can be a demanding task when you’re not that active in keeping track of the maintenance. The automated features can malfunction if there is excessive debris or corrosion on the pivot points. So, try to schedule monthly maintenance of the motor if you want to avoid these issues with the Minn Kota Ulterra not working properly. Even though it is not recommended to manually stow Minn Kota Ulterra, it sometimes becomes necessary to use the manual stow method. So, if the automated features are malfunctioning, the following details might help.
Explaining How To Manually Stow Minn Kota Ulterra
If you’re not getting anywhere with the power on your Minn Kota Ulterra and the device just stalls out, then you need to manually stow the unit. A few basic tools are required for this process, but it won’t take you a long time to manually stow Minn Kota Ulterra. So, just follow these basic steps for stowing your motor.
- The first thing you need to do is to get access to a screwdriver and remove the side plate from the Minn Kota Ulterra motor. This will give you access to the internal screw that also needs to be removed for the emergency stow procedure.
- Once the small screw inside the side plate section is removed, you can use the screwdriver to pry away the plastic knob to release the system. This will free up the steering housing, and it won’t be attached to the lift system.
- Now, you can just pull out the trim housing clip on the top of your motor and put some force into lifting the unit. That will completely free up the steering compartment, and you can move towards the next step.
- At this stage, you just have to access the latch on the backside of the motor and pull the motor up in the stow position. Make sure to be gentle with the motor and avoid damaging the prop as you’re bringing the unit up and over the ramps.
- The last thing you need to do is to fix the orientation of the motor and then use the Velcro straps on the motor to fix the prop. This will keep your motor secured in the stow position, and you won’t have to worry about Minn Kota Ulterra getting lost as you try to transport your unit to a different location.
Keep in mind that you should only follow these steps as the last option and always try to rely on automated features for stowing and deploying the motor. Once the motor has been manually stowed, the automated features have to be reset, and you need to follow the instructions on the reference manual to get the motor working again.
So, if you’re in a situation with Minn Kota Ulterra controls not working, try to reset the motor and then try deploying the unit again. That should fix the control issues, but if the problem persists, make sure to call the Minn Kota customer support.