Chinook salmon is called ‘spring’ chinook because they get back to the rivers in advance than other pacific salmon species. These types of species eat other fishes, because of which they are also known as the piscivorous. Spring chinook is one of the most valuable and largest specie of the pacific salmon in North America belonging to the genus Oncorhynchus. The spring chinook has a red, blue-green, or purple color on its back. The top of its head has silvery sides and a white ventral surface. Its tail is covered with black spots as well as the upper half of its body.
It is said that the spring chinook may spend at least one to eight years in oceans before going back to their home rivers to spawn. These fish are also often sought for being healthy and delicious to eat. Another thing that should be noted is that some users ask the question “How to fish for spring chinook?”. Here are some things to know!
How To Fish For Spring Chinook?
Spring chinook is often confused with Billy Chinook which is a famous lake known for its unique variety of fish. People sometimes think that the spring chinook can only be found in this lake whereas this is not true at all. You should note that chinook salmon can easily be found in the Pacific Ocean as well as other freshwater rivers where these are bred. Now that you understand this, here is a list of steps that can be followed if you want to catch this fish.
- When trying to fish for spring chinook, the location that you are going to can be quite important. As mentioned above, several spots can be visited to find this variety which is why you need to select this carefully.
- The next step involves checking the weather conditions and the time of day that you will be fishing. This can be essential as the fish will not appear throughout the day.
- People can now start preparing their rods, string, and hooks. Keep in mind that the bait that you are going to use will play a major role in how many fish get attracted. In the case of spring chinook, salmon eggs are the top choice of bait. Sand shrimp is another popular option that you can go for, but these are not always preferred.
- Some types of jigs can be used which are quite effective against this variety. Depending on your preferences and the option that you find cheaper, people can easily select a bait or jig that will be used.
- You can now visit the spot and then start setting up your bait. Make sure that the string you are using is powerful enough to pull the fish without breaking.
- Finally, if you notice that there are no catches in your current location then try moving around a little. This can be a great way of finding fish that might be hiding from your hook.