Smelt fish belong to the family of small fishes, known as the Osmeridae. They are found in the North Pacific and North Atlantic Oceans, also in the rivers, lakes, and streams in Europe, Northeast Asia, and North America. Smelt fish is often known as freshwater or typical smelts. This is done to distinguish between them and the related fish family such as the Argentinidae (Argentines or herring smelts), Retropinnidae (New Zealand and Australian smelts), and Bathylagidae (deep-ocean smelts). Smelts are small in size and mostly grow about 8 inches or 20 centimeters long.
However, some species of smelts can reach up to 28 inches or 70 centimeters. These fishes are mainly a source of food for various kinds of fish, including, striped bass, salmon, and lake trout. Though, some people enjoy consuming them because of the multiple health benefits that the meat comes with. Keeping this in mind, the question “How to eat smelt fish?” is often asked by tons of people. The process is usually quite simple but if you are having trouble with it then going through this article should help you out.
How To Eat Smelt Fish?
When eating smelt, one important factor that you need to keep in mind is that the entire fish is edible. This includes the fins, bones, as well as tail of the fish. Some people might not enjoy these which is why can remove them before cooking the meat. However, in most cases, recipes use the entire fish because of how delicious it can be. Here are some simple steps that can be used to teach you how to eat smelt fish.
- Start by rinsing the fish with warm water. This helps in removing any germs on the outer layer of the fish. While this is not necessary, you should note that the meat can sometimes have a slight slime on it. This can only be removed using warm water which is why you should do it.
- You can now find a sharp knife and then start making cuts on your smelt meat. This step can be skipped if you want to cook the entire fish. On the other hand, people that want to remove the tails and fins can quickly slice these off before proceeding.
- After the fish is ready to cook, there are several options that you can choose from. The fish can either be baked, grilled or even deep-fried. Grilling and baking usually require you to first prepare a marinade that the fish will be left in for several hours.
- You can even season the fish if you don’t want to marinade it. Though, if you want to deep fry the fish then a batter should be prepared that the meat will first be coated with.
- Finally, people can start cooking their fish. Whatever technique you use, one thing to ensure is that the meat is cooked properly from its insides. This can be checked using a food thermometer that will give you accurate readings if pushed inside the fish.
- Once the fish meat is cooked properly, you can remove it from your grill, pan, or oven and then proceed to consume it. The dish can also be paired with toppings or sauces of your choice for extra flavor.