A very beautiful oily fish found alongside the oceans known as mackerel is both famous for its striking skin, its iridescent, and its fishy, rich flavor. Mackerel has a very distinctive flavor and is loved by home cooks as well as chefs equally. The fish looks stunning on a plate along while having a great source of fatty acid omega 3. Mackerels have so many benefits despite which it is sometimes overlooked by the public who is buying fish. The main reason behind this is that people are often put off by its fishiness, richness, and oiliness.
Keep in mind that these are the few traits that have given mackerel its character. Talking about this, mackerel when cooked right and paired with exquisite flavors becomes a real treat. This is why most people should at least try this variety once before deciding if it is worth it or not. Some users also often try to use the fish as bait when trying to catch varieties like catfish. If you are one of them then going through this article should teach you how to use mackerel as bait for catfish.
Mackerel For Catfish Bait
Catfish are a variety that is often caught because of their delicious meat. The fish roams around looking for prey which is why if you are trying to catch it then using one of the varieties that it is attracted to can be a great option. When it comes to this, you should note that mackerel are commonly used as bait for catfish, not only because they are small-sized fish but also because of how cheap they are. Now that you understand the reasoning behind it, here are some steps that can be followed to ensure that you catch some catfish without any issues.
- The first and most important step when fishing is gathering all the equipment that will be used on your trip. The rod and line should be durable enough to pull the variety of catfish you are looking for. Additionally, using live mackerel is a much better option but this requires a stronger line and hook.
- You can now start selecting a spot where you will be fishing at. This can vary as well depending on where you live as well as the variety of catfish that you are trying to capture. Make sure that you go through the fishing spots carefully and select one where there has been confirmed spotting of the fish.
- People can now decide a time of the day and then start their fishing trip. You should fish during the day as the fish are more visible.
- When putting up your bait, make sure that you insert the hook near the gills. This is a stronger spot, and it can even hold the fish if it is alive. This also gives people better control and keeps the live bait alive for a longer time.
- If you are having trouble trying to find the fish in the same spot, then try moving around a little as this might help you in attracting catfish that are trying to hide.